After School Programs and Scholars Unlimited Collaboration
DENVER NORTH HIGH SCHOOL
- 5-week Ceramics Studio, serving 12 student sin 10-12 grade
- 4-week Found Object Sculpture Workshop , serving 10 students in 10-12 grade
- Raku Workshop at ASLD in 2015 and 2017
- ASLD offered ongoing elementary school programs at the following Denver Public Schools in collaboration with Scholars Unlimited. At each school, we worked with students in 1st and 2nd grade and 3rd – 5th graders, 15 students at a time:
- Stedman Elementary
- Whittier Elementary
- Columbine Elementary
- Florida Pitt Waller
Community Engagement in Westwood neighbordhood of Denver (started in 2015)
- Weekly art classes held in the neighborhood community center, La Casita, and in a retirement community, La Paloma, both offered in Spanish and English.
- Special event workshops offered in collaboration with the neighborhood’s festival and events, like the Frida Kahlo festival and the Chile Fest.
Denver Public Library, Plaza Program (started in 2013)
- Free, evening workshops with the goal to engage new community members, including English Language Learners, in new an different ways.
PROGRAMS TOOK PLACE IN 10 DIFFERENT LIBRARY BRANCHES:
- Athmar Park
- Schlessman Family
- Valdez Perry
The Gathering Place: a day shelter for women, children and transgender individuals
- Month-long workshops offered to women in a variety of media, as funding permits. 2-hour drop-in program, generally no more than 18 people.
- Watercolor and Ink Flowers
- Drawing (Self-Portrait project for History Colorado)
- Fabric, mixed meedia
- Acrylic painting
ASLD/JEFFCO Satellite Program
ASLD offers 4-6 workshops each school year to Jefferson County School District Art Teachers. The focus is to give art teacher an opportunity to work with a studio artists and provide them the time and materials to be artists first, growing their own skills and focusing on their art. Workshops take place on teacher planning days in the art room of one of the JEFFCO schools.
WORKSHOPS HAVE INCLUDED:
- Color and Technique
- Marbling on fabric
- i-Pad class
- Mixed Media
- Creative Process
- Ceramics/wheel throwing
- Abstract painting
- Silverpoint Drawing
- Artists Books
- Public Art
Teen Studio Night
Understanding that our community’s talented youth are the future of our region’s flourishing arts scene, ASLD launched weekly Teen Studio Nights. The Friday night program provides the area’s teens with a welcoming and safe creative space to share ideas, create and share dinner with like-minded peers. Guided by individual instruction, teens learn to think creatively and critically about what inspires them and how to communicate and express ideas visually.